Old 01-11-2007, 03:08 AM posted to rec.gardens
mleblanca mleblanca is offline

Default Awful Quite, What's Everyone Up To?

On Oct 30, 7:50 pm, Scott Hildenbrand
wrote:
Myself, I'm busy with building a fence for the hounds so they have an
outside run area during the day instead of hanging out in the house.

Got pics up athttp://www.hildenbrands.com/gallery/dog-run/gallery/if
anyone is bored.

Currently working on how to build and hang the gates. I've got one gate
done, kicking back and forth the best way to attach its sister to the
right which will be bolted to a brick wall.

Pretty well set on using those plastic punch anchors that expand when
you screw a bolt into them, set into the mortar of the brick to ensure a
strong grip on the bricks with very little chance of brick fracture.

So what about you all? Anything fun?

Hard work, but fun too. I have been replacing walkways in my garden,
which
have been there for about 20 years. Cheap pavers that "made do" Am
replacing
them with ones that are a little more attractive. One path is what I
call the
:crazy quilt" style: a combo of several different pavers in different
sizes along
with a number of very old brick that I have found here and there. It's
like doing
a jigsaw puzzle with different sized pieces and a few pieces missing.
I finished
it today. Looks good.
Also cutting some shrubs back so DH can run them thru the chipper/
shredder
for next spring's mulch.
I'm enjoing the roses; they are going nuts with this weather (days
70-80 and
nights 40 -50) They love it! Hot Cocoa and Daybreaker are over 6 feet
now
and covered with blooms. Knockout has so many flowers it is difficult
to see
leaves!!
Bought a new shrub at the nursery 40% off sale: Elderberry 'Black
Beauty'.
Planting pansies/violas for winter color, and a few winter vegies,
too.
Oh, and put out a few cyclamen, too. Gorgeous colors....
Raking a few leaves; they are just beginning to fall.

We are taking a day off from work and going on a fall color drive to
the
Coast Range and small valleys to the west of us. It is like going back
in time
about 250 years, to early California. Beautiful country. Will take a
lunch and
maybe hike a bit.

Emilie
NorCal