Old 01-11-2007, 01:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
David Hare-Scott David Hare-Scott is offline

Default help! why cant i grow herbs indoors?

"clairescanvas" wrote in message

I wonder if anyone can help me, i live in a ground floor flat and am
very unfortunate not to have a garden.

I love cooking and gardening so i have been attempting to grow herbs
indoors.

I buy all my herbs already grown and put them by my windows within my
kitchin and living room.

My Basil and Mint have grown beautifully and doubled in size however my
rosemerry and greek basil although growing well for several months have
now seemed to have died on me, also my Tyme and Corriander never last
longer then a month im confused as to what im doing wrong.

I water all of them almost every day...the basil in particular i only
water when it looks like it needs watering as im told these do not need
to be watered eveyday.

It would help if describe more about how they died, what were the symptoms?

Do they all have a few hours of sunlight at least each day? These plants are
not derived from the depths of a rainforest but from sun-blasted hillsides of
the mediterranean, or similar.

Water them as appropriate for each plant. Mint loves water and grows best
when damp. If it dries out it may live but not thrive. Rosemary OTOH hates
wet feet. Its roots will rot if kept constantly wet, make sure its potting
mix is free draining and let it dry out between watering. If you have bought
one of those cute combination planters with many different herbs you will have
trouble keeping them all happy unless they maker was smart enough to group the
ones that like similar conditions together.

David