Old 01-11-2007, 05:44 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jim Jim is offline

Default Garden tools. A bit of research

HettieŽ wrote:

[....]

I could use an easier post hole digger; they don't make one that I could
work with,

[....]

http://www.altapower.com/Earthquake_E43_p/e43.htm

the Earthquake 1.75 HP Powerhead - E43 is truly a one man
power post hole driller. I bought my about six years ago
so I could plant trees and other landscape plants without
the pain of digging. I've got both the 4" and the 6" auger
bits. if I'm planting a tree from a 15" container I drill
a center hole and then drill tangent holes around the center
hole until I've got the diameter required for the tree or
other type of plant being planted. the auger turns the dirt
into a powder making it very easy to remove with a standard
post hole digger, almost to easy.

for transplanting tomato, squash, cucumber, pepper and other
garden plants I first layout my distance measurements then
drill each plant its own 32" deep hole. push the pulverized
powdery dirt back into the hole and set the plant. the
process creates a deep subsoiler effect allowing roots to
reach easily down into the earth for water. here's a secret
trick. put a pinch of each plant type's favorite fertilizer
about 10 to 12 inches down in the hole and by the time the
plant's roots hit the pocket of fertilizer the plant is large
enough to accept and enjoy the find.

and yea, I did put a fence post or two in with the
Earthquake - E43.

my usage recommendation is to drill slowly and allow the
powerhead to do the work. this way when you find a large
root or a large rock there is almost no kick back. do
run the motor wide open / full throttle but don't press
down with a lot of force.