Old 01-11-2007, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Greenhouses v. Polytunnels

On 1/11/07 10:17, in article
, "Des Higgins"
wrote:

On Oct 31, 10:28 am, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message om, Des
Higgins writes

On Oct 30, 3:41 pm, Des Higgins wrote:
On Oct 30, 1:41 pm, "Kate Morgan" wrote:

I have just come in from my greenhouse muttering about the fact that
greenhouses like workshops, are never big enough :-) As we are
planning to
move to Scotland my husband suggests that I go for a polytunnel. I am
beginning to warm to the idea but would appreciate some opinions from the
group :-)

kate

We have a suburban backgarden and so space is limited and we have a
12x8 foot greenhouse which I think is better for confined spaces but
is more expensive. If I had a big country patch, I would prefer a
polytunnel and would prefer to have a whopping big one as I think it
would be much cheaper that way (big poly tunnel much cheaper than huge
greenhouse).

ok, looks like I am outvoted; alright then, if I had a choice, I would
choose a nice wooden greenhouse with a brick base, as long as it came
with a small bloke to paint it every 2 years.

If I was offered a choice between a polytunnel and a greenhouse of the
same footprint, at the same price, I'd go for the greenhouse, but I
don't expect to be offered that choice.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

I agree with that now; Having read the other posts; I did not realise
how much maintenance was needed for tunnels. For domestic gardening,
greenhouse is the way to go alright. If I ever went into serious veg
growing, a tunnel might me an option but that is not looking
imminent.

Apropos the remark above about painting the greenhouse every 2 years, isn't
it possible to buy teak ones that won't need painting? I'm sure they must
cost more but perhaps there's a saving in the long run if all that's needed
is a slosh of oil over the wood?
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk