Old 01-11-2007, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Barometric pressure query

In message . com,
writes
On 25 Oct, 19:50, Sacha wrote:
Has anyone else noticed that as the glass rises they sometimes, just
occasionally, get a bit of a headache. It happens to me often enough to be
aware of it but it seems more obvious in the colder months when we get a
bright starry sky and cold, sunny days. Years ago I mentioned it to a
doctor - not as a worry, just in passing - and he looked at me as if I was
barking. But I'm sure there's some sort of relationship between one and
the other.

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon

Yes I've noticed this. I always get a head ache just before a thunder
storm. Apparently the difference in the pressure being exerted on you
by the atmosphere between high and low pressure is about a ton. The
theory is that we all feel much lighter when there is low pressure.

Atmosphere pressure is 14.7 lb (force) per square inch. Be generous and
call that 1.5 lb (force) difference between high and low pressure
weather conditions. To add up to a ton extra force requires your skin to
occupy 1500 square inches. That's about the right order of magnitude.

But it's a difference in force, not pressure.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley