Old 02-11-2007, 01:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) is offline

Default Greenhouses v. Polytunnels

"Des Higgins" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Nov 1, 2:10 pm, David in Normandy wrote:
In article .com, Des
Higgins says...

I agree with that now; Having read the other posts; I did not realise
how much maintenance was needed for tunnels. For domestic gardening,
greenhouse is the way to go alright. If I ever went into serious veg
growing, a tunnel might me an option but that is not looking
imminent.

Throwing in my penny's worth. I'm planning to make my own greenhouse
again next year (time permitting) and will use clear corrugated pvc
sheets (again). The structure will be made with pressure treated 3 x 2"
timbers set into a concrete foundation. I made one like this before at a
previous property and it worked very well. Not as pretty as a glass
greenhouse but very functional. The timber construction meant I could
attach anything anywhere - great for hooks for hanging baskets or fixing
shelving. Also good for stapling some bubble wrap to over Winter.

I took quite a fancy to sitting there in the evenings with a book and a
pint of home-brew surrounded by all my favourite plants and watching the
sun go down. Bliss!
--
David in Normandy

You de man!!
I wish I had the time/energy/ability to do that. I had toyed with the
idea of making one in the past and just reckoned it would take me too
long and I would make a mess of it and I chickened out and bought our
current one. Clear corrugated PVC?? How about polycarbonate? How do
you attach the sheets to the wood? With a router, it is easy to cut
out rebates in the wood to take a sheet like in a window but if the
sheets are big enough, you just fix them on like a perspex roof with
big nails with rubber seals? Whatever you do, it sounds great!

Des

If your vegetable prep skills could be improved then a few covered window
boxes might suffice :-).
Powder coated Aluminium with glass(safety) is the best solution, at a price.