Old 21-02-2003, 01:39 AM
Polar

Default Composting "other" material

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 21:46:57 GMT, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from Polar contains these words:

I used to pour water over egg shells and let the good stuff leach into
the water. But the smell can be awful, so I gradually gave up, and
now smash them up as small as possible and add them to the compost.

We should be all smashing our eggshells anyway..otherwise, witches can
use them as boats :-)

For the OP..the only veg I don't put in the heap are raw potato
peelings, because there's a risk of circulating potato blight to the
ones I grow.

Gwacious! Never occurred to me.

Thanks.

You can boost your compost heap with free stuff like cut
nettles and comfrey both to bulk it up and encourage
decomposition...plus bracken and seaweed if they are conveniently
available to you.

--
Polar