Old 05-04-2003, 12:20 AM
Shiva

Default English Roses for MD

Henry Hartley wrote:

That's a new one to me but it looks very nice. I do like that form and
color. I kind of like the name, too. Named for a Thomas Hardy novel,
if memory serves.

Yes, it is! This is an interesting rose because it is a color I would call
butterscotch most of the time, but it runs the gamut from that shade back
to pale yellow and up to what is almost a blush color. Really subtle
gradations of color differences day to day. Very vigorous on its own roots.

[about Scentimental]

I've never been crazy about striped roses. Perhaps it's time I tried
one. The pictures I've found of this vary. I've seen white with pure
red, orange-red, violet-purple, and burgundy. How red is the red? Or
does it vary?

I would call it clear cranberry and white--snowy white, no cream or yellow
at all. I love the colors--to me it looks less striped than, perhaps,
brushed with color. It is the first rose I bought three of. It is the
scent and the old fashioned, loose form, PLUS the each-bloom-is-
differentness. But it blows faster than any bloom I've ever seen, so yuo
have to really love it and look hard when blooms first open or you might
miss them!

I've got photos of my garden but need to go back and find them and get
some scanned. On the other hand, I finally got on the bandwagor and
ordered a digital camera. It is supposed to arrive tomorrow. So, this
year I should have lots of photos. Stay tuned.

Whoa! What did you get? I am thinking about a Canon, but am still looking
into it.

--
Henry