Old 03-11-2007, 03:37 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
jthread jthread is offline

Default Lawn question organic

wrote in message news:kC%Wi.166866$Xa3.89337@attbi_s22...
wrote:

I just pull mine but I'm old fashion.

Under no circumstances would I ever use Roundup, Weed B Gone, Weed and
Feed
or any of that other crap. Even under the best of circumstances it is
irresponsible and they usually causes more problems than they solve.

A good place for anyone thinking of using man made chemical on their
yard to
get an education:

http://www.mindfully.org/

Other sites of interest:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundup

http://www.texascenter.org/publications/pest.pdf

http://www.mischel.com/diary/2001/01/07.htm

http://www.govlink.org/hazwaste/hous...chemicals.html

foolish foolish human race

per monsanto's own words

http://www.mindfully.org/Pesticide/M...SDS25jan01.htm

oh well......

pull your weeds and use soil conditioner

I am consistantly amazed by the lack of responsibility of some of the
members of this ng. Go ahead and flame. I consider it an honor.

Jim Threadgill
Austin TX

And I'm constantly amazed at guys like you that can't just do your
weed pulling without calling others irresponsible. You post crap
like the Monsanto MSDS as if it were some great revelation of how
dangerous Roundup is. Go take a look at the MSDS for some simple
cleaning products that everybody uses inside their homes and routinely
get in skin contact with. Here's some MSDS for everyday products.
Take a look at some of them, simple widely used products like Pine-Sol
or laundry bleach:

http://www.thecloroxcompany.com/prod...sds/index.html

The MSDS's look remarkably similar to those for Roundup.

This is like the nut case Vegans who can't just do their own thing,
but have to go around condeming everyone else that doesn't agree with
their lifestyle and chooses to eat meat. I try to minimize the use
of any lawn chemicals and apply those that I do correctly. But I'm
not going to pull weeds to kill off an entire lawn full of them when
trying to establish a new lawn, just because you say so.

Well Trader. I think most on here will agree with you. Do your own thing
just don't tell me that your thing should be mine too. Most on here, seem
to be educated enough about these chemicals to use them properly and
responsibly. Of course there will always be idiots who think that a "dash"
of chemical in the sprayer mix is "close enough" and that 2 "dashes" will
work twice as well.
And you will always have idiots who think that if a pint of vinegar and
salt in solution will kill the weeds then a quart will work twice as well.

From what I understand it's "garden" vinegar and orange oil. I have some but
I've never used it. I listen to the gardening shows on the radio almost
every Saturday and these guys seem to think it works. It has been in use for
quite a while. We have an enlightened media in Austin regarding gardening.
BTW: They are on a conservative radio station (with Rush L.).

I just pull the weeds. If I had a large lot that needed weeding I would mow
them before they seed. In some cases it's best to leave the roots in place
as they keep the seeds from germinating. In Albuquerque, a while back, the
mayor (Dean Rusk from the Carter adm.) let all the weeds grow because he
said that is the best way to get rid of them. In the natural desert there
are very few weeds because the ground isn't tilled. Hoeing weeds gives them
a place to grow. The mayor's experiment never worked cause we had a real wet
year and the weeds grew like crazy. The mayor lost the next election and the
new mayor (Kenny) immediately had the weeds removed.