Old 03-11-2007, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
MikeCT MikeCT is offline

Default HELP- What Chili To Grow ?

"Rick" wrote in a message:
I was watching a gardening program a while back, I think it may have
been about a "Gardening Show". One guy who was exhibiting was showing
chili's, which got me thinking about having a go at growing some so :-

Can anyone advise me on a chili that is, easy to grow, quite hot and
is versatile in use.

Many Thanks.

Hi Rick,

This chili is more than quite hot, but worth trying if you are able to
locate a few seeds, and stand the heat. Phew!

-----

Researchers at New Mexico State University have discovered the world's
hottest chili pepper. It's called the Bhut Jolokia, a variety originating in
Assam, India.In tests that yield Scoville heat units (SHUs), the Bhut
Jolokia reached 1 million SHUs, almost double the SHUs of former hotshot Red
Savina (a type of habanero pepper), which measured a mere 577,000. The
result was announced today by the American Society for Horticultural
Science.Chili is spelled "chile" by some, including Paul Bosland, director
of the Chile Pepper Institute at New Mexico State's Department of Plant and
Environmental Sciences. Bosland collected seeds of Bhut Jolokia while
visiting India in 2001. He grew the plants for three years to produce enough
seeds to complete the field tests."The name Bhut Jolokia translates as
'ghost chile,'" Bosland explained. "I think it's because the chile is so
hot, you give up the ghost when you eat it!"The intense heat concentration
of Bhut Jolokia could have a significant impact on the food industry as an
economical seasoning in packaged foods, he said.