Old 03-11-2007, 07:40 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default The liner went in today.

Ice cores from Antarctica go back 650,000 years and thru 7 ice ages. Both CO2 and
oxygen (the ratio of the isotopes yield temperature information) are trapped in the
ice as it is formed.

NEVER once during the last 650,000 thousand years has the CO2 level gone over 300
ppm, until recently.

"Carbon dioxide concentrations dropped to 180 ppm during the coldest periods and
reached a maximum of 300 ppm in the warmest periods. Current CO2 concentrations are
at about 380 ppm." http://gwfact.rso.wisc.edu/history.html

"An Ad Hominem is a general category of fallacies in which a claim or argument is
rejected on the basis of some irrelevant fact about the author of or the person
presenting the claim or argument. Typically, this fallacy involves two steps. First,
an attack against the character of person making the claim, her circumstances, or her
actions is made (or the character, circumstances, or actions of the person reporting
the claim). Second, this attack is taken to be evidence against the claim or argument
the person in question is making (or presenting). This type of "argument" has the
following form:

1. Person A makes claim X.
2. Person B makes an attack on person A.
3. Therefore A's claim is false. "

Ingrid

Peter Pan wrote:
Yeah Global warming, I mean the earth's temp rose by 1 degree in the past
100 years.... man that's a catastrophe..

On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 11:33:38 CST, Gill Passman wrote:
I don't think that the facts regarding global warming and the melting of
the ice caps can be disputed. It also can't be disputed that this has
happened throughout the history of this planet (ice ages etc). Climate
change has and always will happen. The real question is to what degree
are we accelarating this by our behaviour?