Old 04-11-2007, 04:42 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Gill Passman Gill Passman is offline

Default The liner went in today.

wrote:
Ice cores from Antarctica go back 650,000 years and thru 7 ice ages. Both CO2 and
oxygen (the ratio of the isotopes yield temperature information) are trapped in the
ice as it is formed.

NEVER once during the last 650,000 thousand years has the CO2 level gone over 300
ppm, until recently.

"Carbon dioxide concentrations dropped to 180 ppm during the coldest periods and
reached a maximum of 300 ppm in the warmest periods. Current CO2 concentrations are
at about 380 ppm."
http://gwfact.rso.wisc.edu/history.html

"An Ad Hominem is a general category of fallacies in which a claim or argument is
rejected on the basis of some irrelevant fact about the author of or the person
presenting the claim or argument. Typically, this fallacy involves two steps. First,
an attack against the character of person making the claim, her circumstances, or her
actions is made (or the character, circumstances, or actions of the person reporting
the claim). Second, this attack is taken to be evidence against the claim or argument
the person in question is making (or presenting). This type of "argument" has the
following form:

1. Person A makes claim X.
2. Person B makes an attack on person A.
3. Therefore A's claim is false. "

Ingrid

I find your points interesting....and you have provided the stats that
I've been too lazy to look up - I still maintain that climate change is
part and parcel of living on this planet but coupled with us
contributing to the speeding up of the process.....or indeed worsening
its effect.....but although 75% convinced by the global warming
arguement, the 25% of me that is not is 100% convinced about our need to
cut down our poisoning of our plant through pollution and our
destruction of species who have just as much right as us to live here.

I said "ironic" when it came to Al Gore - and indeed it is that in this
world that we have created that in order to get a message across the
problem is further contributed to....

Basically you are summing up the politics of our world today.....you
could easily substitute Person A/B for Country A/B......furthermore we
also see the arguement of "why should I change my ways when xxxxx
continues to act in the same way and therefore gets a short term
economic advantage over me?". I think the whole pollution issue,
irrespective of whether it contributes to global warming or not, needs
to transcend country borders and politics and we all need to take
responsibility for providing a planet for the future of not only our
"children" but also for every living creature or plant that shares the
planet with us......and it needs to be above party politics and national
interest but be a global goal.....

Now, there is a thing that I would term "Global warming/Climate change
Fatique" where ever single thing is put down to this being a cause -
example is 2006 the summer in the UK was incredibly hot and we had
drought orders in the SE - climate change we were told.....summer 2007
was one of the wettest on record and we had flood warnings in force (and
indeed severe flooding in some areas) - climate change we were
told.....Now I'm not saying that these weather extremes aren't down to
climate change but it does cause a certain amount of sceptisism. Cold
winters - climate change - warm winter next year - climate change....to
the layman this makes a nonsense of the whole thing and an inclination
to believe that the "global warming crew" will blame anything a little
out of the norm on climate change and pollution.....and this is to a
certain degree understandable but it can also be used as an excuse not
to act and to riducle the arguements against taking any action....and
irrespective of whether we "believe" in the hypothesis of global warming
or not we still need to take action to protect our planet....

I'm now going to add the Just my Opinion

Gill