Old 04-11-2007, 10:44 AM posted to rec.gardens
David Hare-Scott David Hare-Scott is offline

Default Raised Bed Gardens, Opinions + Tips?

"Scott Hildenbrand" wrote in message
. ..
Just wondering what you all think of raised beds for vegetable gardens
as opposed to ground level gardens.

Pretty well essential if you have heavy soil that needs drainage. Of course
they dry out quicker and need watering more often but that may not be such a
problem.

It's a good time of year to get all that planned out and in place so
looking for input.

My thought is that the raised beds will be easier to maintain and to
work in. My thought on that is more for the wifes sake since she has
back trouble that acts up from time to time.

Yes to some extent. It may be worth adding a flat top so that she can sit on
the edge to work - assuming that twisting would not be worse than stooping or
squating.

I was thinking of just using treated 2x8s or so, standard toe nailed
framing with braces in the corners. Also thinking of stapling plastic
sheeting along the inside just to minimize the dirt to wood contact factor.

Choose timber that is durable when in contact with the soil or you will be
re-building in a few years plastic or no. Such things exist but may not be
cheap. I cannot suggest anything in particular for another country but I
wouldn't suggest treated timber with heavy metals (ie CCA).

So, any thoughts on this, tips or tricks, etc?

You may also need vertical members (stakes) to support the sides. They hold
better on the outside as they are not so dependant on fastenings but look
neater and stub your toe less on the inside. Make sure your fastenings are
rustproof (eg grey galvanised), ordinary nails will rust very soon. Long
sides on an impervious base (eg plastic clay) will need weep holes on the
downhill.

Also make life easier where soil prep is concerned, no? That way I can
just dump in bags of good soil and compost as apposed to working with
the brick solid clay around here.

Depending on the size you want to work on and how much you can afford for new
soil this may be a good choice. I would need to see your clay to have a view
about the prospects of ammending it.

David