Old 04-11-2007, 02:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
Stephen Henning Stephen Henning is offline

Default Trees in hedges?

Davej wrote:

Well, I cut them off and they come back. Is cutting only the bark more
effective? The honeysuckle bushes I'm sure would just sprout new
branches.

The reason I girdle my walnut trees is to deplete the roots so they
can't force new sprouts. As you mention, most trees that are cut down
will put out new shoots. Girdled trees don't. But they take several
years to die.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://rhodyman.net/rahome.html