Old 04-11-2007, 12:14 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno[_9_] Jonno[_9_] is offline

Default Mosquito repellant plant?

you may like this website to understand the illness better.

http://www.health.vic.gov.au/ideas/diseases/rrv_facts

HC wrote:
G'day Jonno

Thanks!! It was African Daisy and funnily enough I have two growing in
the front garden....time to take some cuttings for the backyard!!

Understand what you are saying about immune systems, but mine is/was out
of whack because your body is supposed to build up an immunity to RRV so
you don't get it again....but...I got it a second time, 18 months after
the first bout. Crazy eh??

Actually Basil rings a bell too. Thanks for your help.
Bronwyn ;-)

Jonno wrote:
You may be thinking of African Daisy,from which pyrethrums are
commercially extracted.
It grows well in Oz.
Dont be concerned re mossie ilnesses. You had the worst of them.
I have a theory, that if you get some really bad illnesses the other
viruses cannot thrive as your immune system has got the super immune
stamp. It can handle anything.
A potted sweet basil will also do the trick. Brush your hand over it
when passing to bring out the fragrance. I don't know why the flies
don't like it, but my plant on the BBQ table keeps the nasties off the
food.
Tansy will probably do the trick too
Tansy is one of those wild herbs that grows like crazy. Don't plant it
in the ground, it will take over

HC wrote:

G'day

Some time ago I heard about a plant that will repel mosquitoes but at
the moment can't think of the name...can anyone help please? Also,
if you know where I might get seed/cuttings/etc that would be most
appreciated.

I've just done a makeover of the outdoor area at the back of my house
(got sick of waiting for Jamie Durie to arrive so had to do it
myself) and now I'm spending more time sitting out there and with the
recent rain am being harrassed by mossies. I burn citronella candles
and oil all day and half the night but as soon as they are
extinguished the mossies reappear. As I've just recovered from two
separate bouts of Ross River Virus, I'm paranoid about the rotten
little things because they still carry lots of other diseases that I
haven't had yet, and don't want!!!

A new vegie garden was part of the makeover so I'm keeping everything
crossed for some beaut tomatoes and other salad vegies during summer.
That's if they don't get the dreaded wilt!!

Jonno...see you're still here...how are things?

Bronwyn ;-)