Old 04-11-2007, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Greenhouses v. Polytunnels

On 4/11/07 13:09, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

Apropos the remark above about painting the greenhouse every 2 years, isn't
it possible to buy teak ones that won't need painting? I'm sure they must
cost more but perhaps there's a saving in the long run if all that's needed
is a slosh of oil over the wood?

Ha! Sloshing oil over the wood of an Alton greenhouse takes as much time
and energy s painting the thing Sacha . I did mine very year since 1979
but it now has a sagging roof and all the base pieces are rotten, the
glass slides off if you don't put your own screws on the end to hold
them in and I think the roof panes are now dangerous as they could slide
off if the screw come out of the rotting wood up on top.
For some reason Alton rest the panes on a, (well for non technical
people such as me) plank of wood running along the length of the
greenhouse, with about 2 inches exposed, so.............. the rain comes
off the roof straight on to the wood.

Janet

I'll take that as a 'no', then? ;-))
--