Old 04-11-2007, 03:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Raised Bed Gardens, Opinions + Tips?

I used raised beds to use up the soil from digging my pond... LOL.
here are mine http://weloveteaching.com/landscape/gravel/gravel.htm
they are only 2 and 3 2x4s high. If you want 12" high, then make a stud wall with
water proof plywood on inside, cement board or such on outside. I lined my greenwood
with plastic. every 4 feet I have tied the back and front together a little under
the top of the dirt just to keep the bed from bowing out. it doesnt appear to have
bowed at all. Ingrid

On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 20:44:03 -0500, Scott Hildenbrand
wrote:
Just wondering what you all think of raised beds for vegetable gardens
as opposed to ground level gardens.
My thought is that the raised beds will be easier to maintain and to
work in. My thought on that is more for the wifes sake since she has
back trouble that acts up from time to time.
I was thinking of just using treated 2x8s or so, standard toe nailed
framing with braces in the corners. Also thinking of stapling plastic
sheeting along the inside just to minimize the dirt to wood contact factor.