Old 04-11-2007, 04:15 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko Srgnt Billko is offline

Default Do you compost

"SteveB" wrote in message
We recently moved out in the country. Nothing to do but we had to make a
compost pile. I admit, it's a handy place for garbage we would usually
put in the can for a week. Yech!

Does it work? How much work is it? How often are you supposed to turn
it? Do you keep it wet? Do you get enough compost to justify the work?

TIA

Steve

You can make it as much work as you want. Generally speaking, the more work
you put in the quicker it becomes useable. We were in a rush the first few
years so we turned it, kept it moist, etc - but now we just leave it sit and
wait a while longer. The pile we just started a couple weeks ago is about
8' wide, 4' deep and 15' long. We have a neighbor friend in the lawn care
business and he brings a few truck loads for us - then we just add to it -
our own leaves / grass clippings, household garbage, some manure, and maybe
a broken bag of caked up lawn fertilizer.