Old 04-11-2007, 08:53 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
mel turner mel turner is offline

Default Identification of strange plant requested. Yorkshire, England.

"Jake Wade" wrote in message
Hello to sci.bio.botany,
I am a complete ignoramus when it comes to botany however I do take care
of the plants in my garden without much trouble.

This year however I have been puzzling over the identity of two plants
that appeared in my patio pots. ...........

[snip]
They don't seem to be of local origin and my suspicion is that they have
originated in the peat as I don't see any other way for them to have
arrived!!

www.flickr.com/photos/17895095@N02/1858369261/
www.flickr.com/photos/17895095@N02/1859173644/
www.flickr.com/photos/17895095@N02/1858330849/

I agree that pine seedlings are likely, but seedlings
of related plants such as deodar cedars [_Cedrus deodara_]
are also similar-looking at this stage. The conifer seeds
could have been in the peat, or they could have arrived
by wind. Are any large conifers growing nearby?

cheers