Old 04-11-2007, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How do cuttings grow?

In article , BIC says...

"Peter Sutton" wrote in message
I have just carried out an experiment with cuttings of Salvia 'Mystic
Spires' made 10, 11 and 12 days ago. The cuttings were all treated in the
same way in a heated propagator at 27C and 100% humidity inside a light
box.
Of the 10 day old cuttings not a single one showed any root. Of the 11 day
cuttings 6 out of 8 showed some root. Of the 12 day old cuttings 4 out of
6
showed root, and on average it was a good bit longer than the 11 day
cuttings. Am I right in assuming that cuttings spend a long time in
preparation, and then the roots themselves are produced fairly quickly at
the end. I also put a number of cuttings in water, but after 12 days none
showed any sign of root.

does it need to be a cutting,

There was a good post, a few months back on here, where a poster told the
story about a bay tree he removed from his garden. He cut the main trunk and
left it as a pole/post in the garage. If I recall his story, a year or so
later he planed it and turned it into a post to put a house name/number on.
After hammering it into the ground, a few week later it was sprouting new
growth...........some cutting that.

'twas I. The post is thriving! I'll post a picture some time.
--
David in Normandy