Old 04-11-2007, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
judith.lea judith.lea is offline

Default Incorrect info menace

On Nov 4, 6:56 pm, "'Mike'" wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message

. uk...

A customer came in today asking to buy a Skimmia japonica, saying he was
going to plant it at the back of a border. This produced a slightly
startled response from us and we asked how tall he thought it would grow.
3
metres was the answer. When we said it was more likely to go to around 3
feet-ish, we were told that he'd read on the internet that it would grow
3 metres. He was most insistent that we were wrong and the internet was
right. Heaven knows how one combats this sort of thing but it just shows
what can happen if there is nobody to give information or advice. OTOH,
we
would be most interested to hear from anyone who has seen such a plant
growing to 3 metres in UK outdoors!

--
Sacha

Species and subspecies
a.. Skimmia anquetilia. Western Himalaya to Afghanistan. Shrub to 2 m.
b.. Skimmia arborescens. Eastern Himalaya to southeast Asia. Shrub or
small tree to 15 m
c.. .
d..
e.. XXXXXXXX Skimmia japonica. Japan, Korea, China. Shrub to 7 m. XXXXXXX
f..
g..
a.. Skimmia japonica subsp. reevesiana (syn. S. reevesiana)
h.. Skimmia laureola. Nepal to Vietnam and China. Shrub or small tree to
13 m.
Skimmias are fed on by Aphids, the Horse Chestnut Scale, the Garden
Leafhopper, and the Southern Red Mite.

Kind regards

Mike

--www.rneba.org.ukfor the latest pictures of the very first reunion and
Inaugural General Meeting. Nothing less than a fantastic success.
'THE' Association if you served in the Electrical Branch of the Royal Navywww.rneba.org.ukto find your ex-Greenie mess mateswww.iowtours.comfor all ex-Service Reunions. More being added regularly
"Navy Days" Portsmouth 25th - 27th July 2008. RN Shipmates will have a Stand- Hide quoted text -

Those are the heights attained in their native conditions, not in the
U.K.

Judith