Old 04-11-2007, 05:37 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Galen Hekhuis Galen Hekhuis is offline

Default Mosquito larvae in Jun's "pond"

On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 10:21:45 CST, "MLF" wrote:

"~ jan" wrote
If this is the small pond you had on that website, a few drops of veggie
oil will smother them. After a few days, put in an air stone and keep the
water agitated so new skitters won't be tempted to lay eggs. ~ jan

Excellent advice. The dunks work, and I don't think they are toxic, but who
really knows.

The "dunks" contain a bacteria that is specific to mosquitoes and
totally harmless to other forms of life. It is definitely non-toxic.

The oil works very well because the little mosquito larvae float just below
the water and breathe through a snorkel tube. The oil clogs up the snorkel,
and voila the little critters are gonzo. Any type of oil will work, but the
usual kitchen type oils are inexpensive. It only takes a very small amount,
as a teaspoon will cover about a (US) acre. It won't hurt the fish, but you
have to add more regularly.

As for the air stone, that may work to deter egg laying, but I'm guessing
you'd have to really roil the water to have any effect. And even then there
would be calm spots here and there. Mosquitos are very successful insects
for a reason - they can get along in nearly any environment. The oil will
probably deter them just as effectively.

I live in northern Florida and have an aerator in my (unlined) pond. I
have seen no (0) mosquito larvae anywhere in the pond, and there are
very many places in the pond that seem to the eye to have flat or
still water. Not far from the pond, I do have several self-watering
pots outside that do retain water. I have found mosquito larvae in
them from time to time. Perhaps the higher oxygen levels in the water
with the aerator inhibit mosquitoes, I really don't know, but the air
stone idea seems to work.
--
Galen Hekhuis
Hell hath no fury like a bird in the hand