Old 05-04-2003, 02:08 AM
kenwoodward

Default Dendrochilum Magnum Culture

"Geir Harris Hedemark" wrote in message
Susan Erickson writes:
If there is no mix... What is the reason for the larger pot?
What does it contain? Is he just protecting roots that would be
arial, or keeping them curling within the pot? What about the
quality of the mix in the first pot? Does it not break down?

I have seen a similar setup in one of the local shops (
http://www.orkidespesialisten.no , in norwegian, sorry ). He usually
has a plastic mesh pot with the orchid and medium in, which he then
puts into a larger pot. The bigger pot keeps some moisture around the
plant, the mesh pot lets masses of air into the medium and allows easy
drainage.

I have done this from time to time. I've used it with a few plants in
sphagnum. It gets the air down to the bottom of the pot and it is possible
to adjust the drying by going to a larger outside pot. If the outside pot
is clay or ceramic it also helps to stabilize a plant that keeps blowing
over.
Ken Woodward
Newton, MA
http://kwoodward.net