Old 05-04-2003, 02:08 AM
Rodger Whitlock

Default 2 questions re big shrubs & trees in containers

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003 10:57:55 +0100, Annabel wrote:

Q1.....When large trees and shrubs are sold in containers are they
containerised when small and potted on or are they field grown and
containerised.

Q2.....I have a problem with shrubs and trees (esp) that are grown in
containers.. Surely the root systems are inferior to field grown
specimens. I have had several such plants that have failed after
apparently growing ok, on removing them the roots have been found to be
self strangulated.

You might want to treat your container trees and shrubs rather
like large bonsai. One of the key elements to successful bonsai
culture is periodic root pruning, which involves taking off about
1/4 of the roots annually. I've seen this explained as forcing
the plant to constantly renew its roots, keeping them young and
vigorous, with corresponding benefits to the above-ground growth.

Of course there's a flip side to this: species which do not
tolerate root disturbance won't do well under this kind of
regimen.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada