Old 05-11-2007, 04:35 AM posted to rec.gardens
Red[_2_] Red[_2_] is offline

Default Raised Bed Gardens, Opinions + Tips?

On Nov 3, 7:44 pm, Scott Hildenbrand "scott

I was thinking of just using treated 2x8s or so, standard toe nailed
framing with braces in the corners. Also thinking of stapling plastic
sheeting along the inside just to minimize the dirt to wood contact factor.

So, any thoughts on this, tips or tricks, etc?

As others have said, cedar is less of a health issue. However, I had
one bed made of very old treated poles, just because I had them and
they were free. Instead of plastic, I used 18" wide aluminum flashing
to separate the soil from the poles. It proved to be much more
durable.
Don't know your location, but I continually had a problem with fire
ants nesting in the raised bed garden. Since there is no approved fire
ant pesticide rated for garden areas, and they were so insistent on
getting in the bed, I finally had to get rid of my raised bed.

Red