Old 05-11-2007, 02:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
japus japus is offline

Default Raised Bed Gardens, Opinions + Tips?

Here is what I did this fall in preperation to next springs planting
Using all 2" X12" X10ft treated lumber..(yes treated lumber) I will decide
what to do about this when I plant in the spring..I made 4 beds 4'X10' with
an additional bed across the back for wife's flowers..I used 3/8th inch X2"
angle iron and hammered in about 3 to four feet into the ground..( I had
lots of these around so cost wasnt an issue) and bolted the sides to these
angle irons to keep them secure.... Made walking spaces of 3ft between beds
and using ceder chips to keep weeds down and using the soil that was beneath
the beds, to fill the beds, I have been using this space as my veggie
garden for 30 years.. so the soil is great, I may need to add soil .I can
get good planting dirt from a local dist. I decided on this after many years
of successful container planting, and am looking forward to years of
success...watering..I may set up a sunken system. I am in western Pa ...hope
this helps you along

"Scott Hildenbrand" wrote in message
. ..
Just wondering what you all think of raised beds for vegetable gardens as
opposed to ground level gardens.

It's a good time of year to get all that planned out and in place so
looking for input.

My thought is that the raised beds will be easier to maintain and to work
in. My thought on that is more for the wifes sake since she has back
trouble that acts up from time to time.

I was thinking of just using treated 2x8s or so, standard toe nailed
framing with braces in the corners. Also thinking of stapling plastic
sheeting along the inside just to minimize the dirt to wood contact
factor.

So, any thoughts on this, tips or tricks, etc?

Also make life easier where soil prep is concerned, no? That way I can
just dump in bags of good soil and compost as apposed to working with the
brick solid clay around here.