Old 05-11-2007, 04:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
Scott Hildenbrand Scott Hildenbrand is offline

Default Sprinkler system underground leak help

Dave FL wrote:
Yep, got a leak somewhere. Did the timing thing with the water meter
and found the three largest zones use most of the water.

My Problem: water bill came to $400.00 one month and $500.00 the next
month. Stopped using the sprinklers and dropped to $50 - $60/Mo.
My Guess: underground sprinkler leak
My Question: What is the easiest way to check the lines for a leak?
My Answer (up for review): Take out the sprinkler heads in each zone
and cap off the line, run the sprinkler water and see if meter turns.

Need help to see if this is the best way to check the lines, or will a
divining rod be better?

Dave FL

Find the swamp in the yard caused by the thousands of gallons of water
your system seems to be wasting.

Beyond that, capping all the heads and running the whole system to
locate wet spots in the yard is about the only thing you can do.

But eesh, with that much water you'd think the problem area would be
soaked enough to sink into when walked on.