Old 05-11-2007, 04:56 PM posted to rec.gardens
Scott Hildenbrand Scott Hildenbrand is offline

Default Hedge trimmers

Not@home wrote:
I know they have dead man switches, but I also know that a lot of people
use the override rather than holding the trigger. If you are in that
situation, I wonder if you want to be balanced on an unstable ladder,
holding something that will trim you as easily as it will trim the
hedge, hoping that you won't fall.

Unless you are very tall, or have a stable platform to stand on, I think
you would be far safer with a manual trimmer, which will do just as good
a job, just as quickly. (My wife prefers the manual trimmer to the
corded model I have, even for our short hedge, and I know I'm lucky that
she likes doing the trimming).

Phisherman wrote:
I'm looking for a decent hedge trimmer. I'm thinking of a lightweight
cordless to use on a 10' high, 200-foot long Rose-of-Sharon hedge. Any
recommendations under $110?

On that note, I know full well what it feels like to whack yourself with
one of those.. My wife had an old one with a hair trigger which I was
using one day to box the boxwoods... I have NO idea how it happened but
in an instant that dang thing whacked the tip of my finger in half,
grazing the bone in the process.

Now, I'm not one to cuss at all, but I managed several choice expletives
while shaking my hand and flinging blood all over the bush before
grabbing the tip and marching into the house, barking at my stepson to
get the door for me as the blood trickled down my arm.

I tend to avoid hospitals, so I cleaned it myself, spreading the wound
as I held it under the faucet then inspecting for any issues before
wrapping the finger in a compression bandage.

Still use that evil little thing, but tend to make totally sure I've got
a grip on it and am holding it before it starts up..

It's on my replacement list for next season.