Old 05-11-2007, 05:04 PM posted to rec.gardens
Scott Hildenbrand Scott Hildenbrand is offline

Default Sprinkler system underground leak help

Dave FL wrote:
Scott Hildenbrand wrote:

Find the swamp in the yard caused by the thousands of gallons of water
your system seems to be wasting.

Haven't noticed any swamps or really wet areas around the sprinkler
heads

Beyond that, capping all the heads and running the whole system to
locate wet spots in the yard is about the only thing you can do.

That was my thought too.
But eesh, with that much water you'd think the problem area would be
soaked enough to sink into when walked on.

I agree, I also plan on getting rid of this St. Augustine grass &
replace with Bahia.
Dave FL

What's the soil like in your area?

Swampy area don't need to be near any heads. They could be anywhere the
line could break. But if your soil drains well then it's all together
possible that it's draining off.

But at that much usage, wow.

ID where your lines run from start to end so that you can check the
whole route as it's not just about the heads. When you cap everything
and run it for a while, walk the line and see if you can pinpoint any
problems.. A moisture meter may help, check every foot or so for a
reading after it's run for a while. If you're lucky you'll be able to
narrow it down to digging up a few feet at best to fix.

Either way, good luck on finding the problem...