Old 05-11-2007, 07:48 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Do you compost

"SteveB" wrote in message
We recently moved out in the country. Nothing to do but we had to make a
compost pile. I admit, it's a handy place for garbage we would usually put in
the can for a week. Yech!

Does it work? How much work is it? How often are you supposed to turn it? Do
you keep it wet? Do you get enough compost to justify the work?

Here in Seattle, I dump my lawn clippings and occasional kitchen waste and weeds
into the compost bins, in layers of 3-4 inches. I then sprinkle a bit of dirt
over it to innoculate it with the necessary bacteria. I keep adding until the
bin is full, meanwhile using the compost from the other bin. Once I've emptied
the other bin, or have no room to spare in the full one, I start filling the
other bin. When I need the compost from the full bin, I fork the top of the full
bin, which is not fully composted, into the other bin until I get to good
compost, and use the compost as needed.

I don't turn it, and don't water it - but this is Seattle.

Want an easy bin? Take 4 wooden pallets. prop them side to side to form a cube
with the 'top' boards to the inside of the cube. Tie a rope or wire to adjacent
corners to hold the top corners together, or nail a short board across each
corner. When you want to empty a bin, remove the ties to the front pallet, and
remove it. 2 or 3 bins, side by side will handle a good size yards clippings and
keep you ahead of the composting process. Pallets will last a few years before
the rot enough to need replacing.

Bob