Old 05-11-2007, 09:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
Sheldon[_1_] Sheldon[_1_] is offline

Default Hedge trimmers

On Nov 5, 2:49?pm, Phisherman wrote:
On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 20:05:00 GMT, Phisherman wrote:
I'm looking for a decent hedge trimmer. I'm thinking of a lightweight
cordless to use on a 10' high, 200-foot long Rose-of-Sharon hedge. Any
recommendations under $110?

After some research, it looks like the cordless models are only good
for a short time. Everyone that has had a corded model says they
eventually and accidentally cut the cord. And, I don't want another
gasoline tool. So now I'm looking at the hand trimmers/shears, maybe
Made in Germany or a Felco brand. I see there are straight and wavy
cutting blades--why is one preferred over the other? TIA

The wavy blades do better with thicker tougher wood but they don't
make so even a cut as the light weight precision models... it's a good
idea to have both types. Leevalley.com has very nice hedge shears, I
have both... the heavy one with fiber glass handles and the precision
one with aluminum handles, both work exceptionally well when used as
intended. But I don't think any 73 year old, especially when ill,
should be trimming a two hundred foot row of ten foot tall hedges...
that's a herculean task for a twenty year old in tip top shape.