Old 06-11-2007, 04:26 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,hawaii.gardening,rec.gardens
Sammy bin Snoozin Sammy bin Snoozin is offline

Default Grooves in trunk of palm tree

"Ann" wrote in message ...
"Sammy bin Snoozin" expounded:

I think this is a king palm (not 100% sure). Here are some photos I just took today to show a possible problem. Up until today I thought this was normal, but when I push on the tree, it sway very easily and I can see the trunk move at the ground. Nothing appears wet or eaten by insects - everything I can see and touch is hard like a normal tree.

Anyway, anyone who can share some info about this tree - is this normal or not, etc - would be very much appreciated.

If you send me an email, please post to this newsgroup also as I do not check this account daily.

http://www.geocities.com/sammybinsnoozin/palm.html

Thanks in advance!

Sam

That tree is rotten at the base, it'll come down someday in a strong
storm.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

I thought so too 3 years ago, but it has been steadily growing - slow, but steady. And hard as a rock all around the base.