Old 06-11-2007, 10:34 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
Phred Phred is offline

Default Identification of strange plant requested. Yorkshire, England.

In article , "Jake Wade" wrote:

"Phred" wrote in message
I'm not familiar with plants from your latitude, nor am I
familiar with the potting stuff you've used. What is it, please?

The potting material is PEAT based compost.
Derived from dried out boglands. When cut out and dried it
may be burnt as fuel like wood and coal.

See here for example :-
www.wildlifetrust.org.uk/facts/peat.htm
or here :-
www.waverley.gov.uk/recycling/peat.asp#what

Thanks for the reply, Jake. I must say your peat looks quite
different to the stuff available here. The "German peat" is a brown
fibrous material and our local "peat" is a black rather crumbly
product that caused us much grief when potting lots of plants years
ago. (You can assume from that we much preferred the imported German
product, and hang the expense! :-)

Your material is surprisingly pale, and I assume the "pebble" shape is
the result of pelletisation? See this image of yours for example:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17895095@N02/1859173644/in/photostream/

Thanks for the links. But I see that you really shouldn't be using
the stuff. :-)

quoting http://www.wildlifetrust.org.uk/facts/peat.htm
What you can do to help save peat bogs Peat bogs desperately need
your help. You can help save them by:
* Refusing to buy peat or plants grown in peat. [...]
Details of where to buy peat-free products are available from The
Wildlife Trusts.
* Stop using peat in your garden; start a compost heap that will
provide an alternative.
* Find out if your local authority has signed the peatland
protection charter (details from your local wildlife trust).
* Visit a peatland reserve near to you and see its wildlife.
Your local wildlife trust can help you. Once you have, you'll
never want to buy peat again.
/quoting

Cheers, Phred.

--