Old 06-11-2007, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default 'Salcombe rosemary'

In article ,
Charlie Pridham writes:

| I've been looking (casually) at various reference books including the Oxford
| Book of Food Plants and Davidson's Oxford Companion to Food (both of which
| are the type of book that one opens to check one thing and find that one is
| still reading it an hour later). There appear to be 2 species: Artemisia
| dracunculus (French) and A. dracunculoides (Russian). I can see why you
| gave up as none of the references is definitive. What is needed is a
| botanist/gourmet to sort out the confusion{:-)
|
| The two tarragons are completely different species they look different
| taste different and grow differently, so called Russian tarragon is easy
| to do from seed, the french is not, as to correct species names, no idea!

I believe that is false, and there is a single, polymorphic species.
And the regression/development effect I mentioned turns mere confusion
into chaos. I.e. there are plants that are clearly one or the other,
a complete range of intermediates, and a clone's position on the scale
can wander around a bit.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.