Old 06-11-2007, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default 'Salcombe rosemary'

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| There's not much botanical available online, but I found a 2007 paper
| with assorted chromosome counts for subgenus Dracunculus. This reports 4
| cytotypes of A. dracunculus (diploid, tetraploid, hexaploid and
| decaploid), and gives A. dracunculoides as hexaploid. Wikipedia says
| that French tarragon can't be propagated by seed, but elsewhere I see
| claims that it's just a matter of poor seed set in cool climates.

Boggle. I didn't know about the chromosome counts. That sounds
bizarre even by plant standards.

| Botanists don't seem to agree as to whether there is one species or two.

Or four, or .... Until and unless there is some evidence on whether
the various ploidies are inter-fertile, that sounds like angels on a
pinhead material.

| There is a paper on Artemisia phylogeny, but it's behind a pay-wall, and
| I doubt that is sheds light on the dracunculus/dracuncoloides issue.

Yeah, me too :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.