Old 06-11-2007, 06:54 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
jthread jthread is offline

Default Do you compost

wrote in message news:vx2Yi.171454$Xa3.150789@attbi_s22...
Red wrote:
On Nov 6, 11:02 am, "SteveB" wrote:

My situation is this:

I can back my truck up at the local landfill, and for $20, they will
fill
the back of an 8' bed with compost that they have made of organic
materials
they have made. This compost includes fertilizers and all the best of
things my taxes can buy.

Good enough for flower beds and general landscape use, but not for
vegetable gardens. You have no idea what herbicides & insecticides
was used on those "organic materials" before they went to the landfill
for composting. People put some really nasty things at really nasty
rates on their yards before they cut, bag, and put on the curb for
pickup.

Red

People put all those chemicals on their lawn, and then collect it all up
and send it to the waste center, which in turn means they will have to put
more chemicals on to replace what they removed. Stupid idea.
Good for the chemical companies. Bad for your yard and the environment.
I have no problem with using chemicals. It is the misuse and overuse that
is the problem.

I've A/B'ed store bought compost and dillo dirt. So far Dillo Dirt "seems" a
little better. But your point is valid and a lot of people here won't use
it. I'm going to continue as long I have success. I like the idea of keeping
the yard waste out of the land fills.

Jim