Old 06-11-2007, 05:15 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
Jake Wade Jake Wade is offline

Default Identification of strange plant requested. Yorkshire, England.

"Phred" wrote in message

SNIP SNIP

Thanks for the reply, Jake. I must say your peat looks
quite
different to the stuff available here. The "German peat"
is a brown
fibrous material and our local "peat" is a black rather
crumbly
product that caused us much grief when potting lots of
plants years
ago. (You can assume from that we much preferred the
imported German
product, and hang the expense! :-)

Your material is surprisingly pale, and I assume the
"pebble" shape is
the result of pelletisation? See this image of yours for
example:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17895095@N02/1859173644/in/photostream/

Thanks for the links. But I see that you really shouldn't
be using
the stuff. :-)

SNIP SNIP

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Hi Phred,

Ah, well, the peat we have in the UK is also, generally, a
dark brown fibrous material.
What you see in my pictures is a top layer of pumice
pebbles, used to retain moisture/reduce evaporation.
Bit of a red herring perhaps, didn't intend to decieve
anyone!!!

regards
Jake