Old 06-11-2007, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Derek Derek is offline

Default Accelerate the compost

"CWatters" wrote in message
Got a huge compost heap - mostly grass clipings from a paddock. Seems
reluctant to decompose despite being watered. The inside is still dry and
dusty and look more like straw.

Anything I can do to speed up the process? I've been adding leaves now
that
we have loads falling.

I'd be inclined to add in some well rotted horse manure and water in with
urine a very popular solution (no pun intended) on GQT. Its getting a bit
late in the year now as the bacteria are more active at summer temperatures
but covering with thick cardboard can help to maintain the heat and get the
little blighters going.
Derek