Old 06-11-2007, 10:45 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
jthread jthread is offline

Default Do you compost

"Bob F" wrote in message

"jthread" wrote in message

My situation is this:

I can back my truck up at the local landfill, and for $20, they will
fill the back of an 8' bed with compost that they have made of organic
materials they have made. This compost includes fertilizers and all the
best of things my taxes can buy.

Our citys compost at one time was contaminated by chemicals some
homeowners use on their yard. It killed some plants it was used on.

Ya know i could see that happening!

But how did it get into the compost (enough to cause damage) if they are
just putting in clipping and such? And where do you live?

So why do I compost, you ask. So that I have a place to put my grass
clippings, kitchen trash, and various items.

I thank all the people who were in on the discussion and had positive
things to add on the topic. I learned a lot. About composting, and
about posters.

Steve

good for you dude. i'm really glad the city p/u's our clipping or i'd
have a compost pile too. i had one at my house in round rock but because
the yard was so large i filled my bin with about 4 mowings. i needed
about 3 bins to keep up. i didn't want to mulch cause the lawn really
needed to breath. it was choked from the previous owner cause he always
mulched.

you have to keep after a compost pile. it needs green and brown waste,
dirt, water, sunlight, turning. it's quite a chore.

Mine works fine with 99% greens, a little sprinkle of dirt, no added water
or turning. It's easier than loading the stuff into bins and hauling them
to the street.

I really like that barrel idea cause the turning is the really hard part.
but in my old house that would of held about 1.5 mowings. and i mowed
once a week in the summer.

Try just skipping the turning and giving it more time.

Bob