Old 07-11-2007, 12:26 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,hawaii.gardening,rec.gardens
JimR JimR is offline

Default Grooves in trunk of palm tree

"Sammy bin Snoozin" wrote in message
I think this is a king palm (not 100% sure). Here are some photos I just
took today to show a possible problem. Up until today I thought this was
normal, but when I push on the tree, it sway very easily and I can see the
trunk move at the ground. Nothing appears wet or eaten by insects -
everything I can see and touch is hard like a normal tree.

Anyway, anyone who can share some info about this tree - is this normal or
not, etc - would be very much appreciated.

If you send me an email, please post to this newsgroup also as I do not
check this account daily.

http://www.geocities.com/sammybinsnoozin/palm.html

Thanks in advance!

Sam

It appears to me that the tree is under stress of some kind -- the fronds
are sparse and droopy and the trunk is quite narrow both at the base and
from about 6' above ground all the way to the top. This may be the early
stages of ganoderma butt rot, which is fatal and not curable. Check
information and pictures at www.palmtreedr.com/problems.html. The next
stage will include the growth of a ganoderma conch on the bottom of the
tree.

Other things to consider which might have stressed the tree -- lack of
proper fertilization, putting the tree into decline, or improper
("hurricane-cut") pruning, which removed fronds while they were still
partially green and feeding the main body of the tree.