Old 07-11-2007, 12:30 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,hawaii.gardening,rec.gardens

Default Grooves in trunk of palm tree

"Sammy bin Snoozin" wrote in message

"Ann" wrote in message
"Sammy bin Snoozin" expounded:

I think this is a king palm (not 100% sure). Here are some photos I just
took today to show a possible problem. Up until today I thought this was
normal, but when I push on the tree, it sway very easily and I can see
the trunk move at the ground. Nothing appears wet or eaten by insects -
everything I can see and touch is hard like a normal tree.

Anyway, anyone who can share some info about this tree - is this normal
or not, etc - would be very much appreciated.

If you send me an email, please post to this newsgroup also as I do not
check this account daily.

http://www.geocities.com/sammybinsnoozin/palm.html

Thanks in advance!

Sam

That tree is rotten at the base, it'll come down someday in a strong
storm.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

I thought so too 3 years ago, but it has been steadily growing - slow, but
steady. And hard as a rock all around the base.

It's been two days since you posted your message, so you've had time to call
your cooperative extension office and ask them about the problem. And,
today's Tuesday, so we know the office was probably open yesterday and
today.

When you called them, what did they say about this tree?