Old 07-11-2007, 03:29 AM posted to rec.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Do you compost?

"Manelli Family" wrote in message
"Pennyaline" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:

snip the shit for crying out loud

Has anyone gotten around to telling you not to use cooked or dressed
food scraps in your compost pile? Raw foods only, vegetable matter only,
no meat, no fats, no salad dressings, etc.

Why not? I've composted lots of things including lots of cooked food and
also a dead chook (chicken in US speak) and had no problems at all.
Someone I know swears that fat is a real worm attractant and that worms
writhe and gorge themselves on fat from a commercial frying machine.
Can't see it myself but he swears that it's true.

That kind of thing where I live would have the compost pile full of
raccoons and possums.

There are no Raccoons in my country and the possums in this country are
vegetarians. The only meat eaters locally are rats, mice, foxes and my
dogs. The latter 2 can't get into my bins, the rats prefer the chook pen
and I've decided that the mice are useful. I certainly wouldn't consider
mice to be useful if I read and believed the conventional information
written on compost, but I've watched what happens with the compost and
decided that the mice do very useful work for me. I now consider them
almost as useful as earthworms.