Old 05-04-2003, 03:20 AM
Lilly

Default Retaining Wall Ideas - a006_6.jpg (0/1)

On Sat, 05 Apr 2003 01:25:27 GMT, Pam wrote:

I realize it may be a lot of work, but then I consider that kind of
stuff fun. Go figure. I'm sure that the rhodies that are already there
are damaging the trees roots. My idea was to replace the rhodies with
very small shallow plants.

More likely the other way around - the tree roots are probably stressing out the
rhodies. Rhododendrons have extremely shallow root systems, but lots of surface
feeder roots, as does the tree. Root systems are proportional to the size of the
plant - the large tree will have a far larger and more widespread root system
than the rhodies and also much more aggressive in terms of removing moisture and
nutrients from the soil.

I see, that makes sense. Actually, the Rhodies haven't looked very
well since we've been here. The owners have about 5 Rhodies in tiny
planters and other places that are just terribly overgrown and need
more room. I have some perfect spots for them to go to, and I was
thinking of replacing some of them with Gardenias.

If the rhodies are already well established, I wouldn't move them. The disruption
to both them and the tree from root disturbance could be severe. From a design
point of view, tiering down from larger plants - the tree to rhodies to
hellebores to gorundcovers, etc - to smaller plants is more visually appealing.
Also, neither the callas or hellbores will be happy in this dry shade situation.

Ok, good to know. It's actually really moist there, I was thinking
because of all the rain (Pacific Northwest) and we haven't spent a
summer here yet. Well Hell's Bells, they're not doing well, but it
would be a shame to loose such old specimens. Maybe I should just cut
the Rhodies back? Argh...

~Lilly

Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things
which escape those who dream only by night.
"Eleonora"