Old 07-11-2007, 01:37 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Steveo Steveo is offline

Default Do you compost

"SteveB" wrote:
"jthread" wrote in message

"Red" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Nov 6, 11:02 am, "SteveB" wrote:

My situation is this:

I can back my truck up at the local landfill, and for $20, they will
fill
the back of an 8' bed with compost that they have made of organic
materials
they have made. This compost includes fertilizers and all the best
of things my taxes can buy.

Good enough for flower beds and general landscape use, but not for
vegetable gardens. You have no idea what herbicides & insecticides
was used on those "organic materials" before they went to the landfill
for composting. People put some really nasty things at really nasty
rates on their yards before they cut, bag, and put on the curb for
pickup.

Red

You think that's bad? Dillo Dirt includes treated sewage sludge.
According to the web site they claim it's save for use in gardens. I
only use it on my yard and flower beds but there is a chance we are
eating food watered by effluent from a waste water treatment plant
anyway.

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/water/dillo.htm

Yummy! Oh well, it usually just gets dumped in a river anyway. In Las
Cruces, NM the old treatment plant was so bad the effluent was dirtier
than the influent. Dumped right into the Rio Grande and to the pecan,
lettuce, onion, chili and all the other crops grown down there. They
(Las Cruces) built a new plant back in the 70's. We used to go swimming
in that river all the time.

Jim

Amazing how we survived Lawn Darts, potato guns, firecrackers, and all
the stuff that kids today are "protected" from.

And there's nothing wrong with us
nothing wrong with us
nothing wrong with us
nothing wrong with us
nothing wrong with us
nothing wrong with us
nothing wrong with us
nothing wrong with us
nothing wrong with us
nothing wrong with us

SLAP!

Sorry.

Steve

Haha! jthread lives in a van down by the river. Best filter the turd out of
your newsreader.