Old 08-11-2007, 12:39 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,hawaii.gardening,rec.gardens
JimR JimR is offline

Default Grooves in trunk of palm tree

"JimR" wrote in message

"Sammy bin Snoozin" wrote in message
I think this is a king palm (not 100% sure). Here are some photos I just
took today to show a possible problem. Up until today I thought this was
normal, but when I push on the tree, it sway very easily and I can see the
trunk move at the ground. Nothing appears wet or eaten by insects -
everything I can see and touch is hard like a normal tree.

Anyway, anyone who can share some info about this tree - is this normal or
not, etc - would be very much appreciated.

Going to work this morning I noticed a palm enroute that is very similar to
the one in your picture. In this one, the fissures go from the ground to
about 5-6 feet height. I still think this may be the early stages of
ganoderma butt rot.

Info is available at http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/PP100

Included in their summary:

-- Ganoderma butt rot is caused by the fungus Ganoderma zonatum. This fungus
degrades or rots the lower 4-5 feet of the trunk.

-- There are currently no cultural or chemical controls for preventing the
disease or for curing the disease once the palm is infected.

-- A palm cannot be diagnosed with Ganoderma butt rot until the basidiocarp
(conk) forms on the trunk, or the internal rotting of the trunk is observed
after the palm is cut down.

-- Because the fungus survives in the soil, planting another palm back in
that same location is not recommended.