Old 08-11-2007, 12:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rick Rick is offline

Default HELP- What Chili To Grow ?

On Nov 5, 3:53?pm, newsb wrote:
In article . com, Rick
writes

I was watching a gardening program a while back, I think it may have
been about a "Gardening Show". One guy who was exhibiting was showing
chili's, which got me thinking about having a go at growing some so :-

Can anyone advise me on a chili that is, easy to grow, quite hot and
is versatile in use.

One that always works well for me is 'Apache'. That said, I've usually
grown it in a greenhouse, but its an attractive plant in itself and fine
on the patio.

Its a smallish plant in terms of height (actually a 'dwarf' variety),
but gets very bushy and has gazillions of beautiful small red chillis on
it all summer long. They might not be the hottest in the world -
supposedly around 5 on the scale - but they certainly do it very
reliably for me.

I also over-wintered last year and whilst it wasn't as prolific this
year, it wasn't bad considering it was totally ignored all
autumn/winter.

It also didn't suffer from any of the little caterpillar infestations
you can get on some bigger leaved chillis (particularly in a
greenhouse).

With some chillis, I find that I sometimes get no heat at all. Apache
is always hot for me. One chilli - without the seeds - is usually
enough for a small meal - eg, a tomato sauce for pasta. They are about
5-7 cm long and a cm wide at the wide end.

I'm not a chilli fanatic - I don't like to burn to excess - but Apache
gets my vote everytime.

There's a pic athttp://www.chileseeds.co.uk/apache_chilli_seeds.htm

--
regards andyw