Old 08-11-2007, 02:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] eric.heyward@gmail.com is offline

Default Canadian seeks id of an English tree

On Oct 28, 4:32 pm, "
wrote:
This may seem silly, but I want to identify a tree that appears in the
background in threephotosI took in 1963 in England (I am now in
Canada). The tree is quite distinctive in shape.

If no-one on this newsgroup can help, is there a "trees-only"
newsgroup that I might try?

Here's the story: I run a website devoted to the history of British
stock-car racing 1955-1975. Today I watched a video clip of racing at
a track at Brafield in Northamptonshire, and lo and behold, even from
the in-car camera view, I instantly recognized a tree that grew at the
edge of the stadium's property 45 years ago!

I could e-mail jpg's to any serious tree person. If anyone wants to
navigate through my rather clumsy and crowded website, here are the
directions:www.oldstox.com
Sub-section "Senior F1 Racing in the 1960's"
(1) Search for "320", and the hyperlink jpg shows, behind two cars,
the tree.

Sub-section "58 Junier F2's"
(2) Scroll down to the second embedded photo, of two cars, and the
tree is there too.
(3) Same sub-section, search for "two friends", and the hyperlinked
jpg shows the tree again.

I trust that the folks atuk.rec.gardening have the same attention to
fine details that cricketers and stock-car fans do (e.g. "That axle
stub could NEVER have been used in 1957 in Scotland ---")

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Here is a picture that looks right. so it is an oak.

http://www.indexstock.com/store/Chub...Number=284073a