Old 08-11-2007, 07:18 PM posted to rec.gardens
Cheryl Isaak Cheryl Isaak is offline

Default Google vs. Newsgroups

As an old and dedicated Usenet user, I've found that if I want to review a
subject, I'll use the groups feature in Google and just search there.

I hope Usenet never disappears - I really prefer it to the myriad of boards,
private lists and other existing folderol.

On 11/8/07 2:00 PM, in article , "Not@home"
wrote:

I agree that one should look in the newsgroup before posting, but the
unfortunate fact is that usenet is falling into disuse, as most people
find a web search a more efficient way of finding information. Many
ISPs no longer offer usenet, while almost all who do limit the resources
they will dedicate to usenet, and the result is that postings and whole
threads appear to have disappeared from usenet, depending on how much
storage your ISP has allocated, so a usenet search is often a waste of
time. To get more thorough coverage of usenet, you have to join one of
the usenet services, at a fee, and even then the coverage is never
complete. So doing a web search that includes usenet postings (as, I
believe, does google, but I really don't know as I prefer another search
engine) is the most efficient way to get information at the current time.

Usenet is a superior way of discussing a subject, I think, and I've
picked up valuable information on it, but unfortunately, there are quite
a few half-wits who clutter it with extraneous comments that would earn
them a quick seat on the floor in a bar.

Sheldon wrote:
"SteveB" wrote:
Why doesn't everyone just Google everything?

Those who right away holler Google are just dimwitted newbies...
proper procedure is to search the Newsgroup for relevant threads
*prior* to posting questions... those who just barge in expecting
immediate gratifiction are rude and crude boors to be avoided.