Old 08-11-2007, 04:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
SuE SuE is offline

Default What to do when your orchid blooms?

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 01:53:59 GMT, "eeyore"
wrote:

I have 2 home depot specials. First year one of them re-bloomed. Had three
stalks, only one of which made it. I read that they need to be exposed to
cold temperatures in order to encourage them to bloom. Never could find
exactly what cold was. Being in Chicago I try to pull them inside around 40
degrees. So perhaps was more luck than skill. Though my cat eating the
leaves probably doesn't help either.

Talk to the people at Hausermann's or Oak Hill or Illinois Orchid
Society for current thought.

When we lived it Chi-town we left them out until the first snow or
just before a killing frost. Then took them in to a coolest area of
the growing space.

SuE