Old 09-11-2007, 05:38 AM posted to rec.gardens
HettieŽ HettieŽ is offline

Default Google vs. Newsgroups

SteveB wrote:
Why doesn't everyone just Google everything?

I mean, there are people who vehemently believe that EVERY QUESTION IN THE
KNOWN UNIVERSE can be answered by Googling.

I think not because some questions humans do not have the answers for
yet, nor do computers either duh. You have to know some tricks about
framing your search and how to use the advanced search function which
doesn't seem to work as well as it did before for me; others may know
something about that I don't. I use google all the time. Sometimes it
is very helpful, and sometimes it is useless because it spits back too
many results to sift through, plus you have to use some discernment
because there is a lot of disinformation out there, well usenet has its
share of that, too.

Google can't seem to archive subpages of many websites, probably can't
keep up. The cached feature is nice at times. So many searches for
products or info you have to go to a specific website and use their
search engine (which often don't work very well, won't search for exact
phrases, etc.).

At least you can't get flamed by google. Yet.

Ergo: Usenet Newsgroups are useless and pointless. Mental masturbation.
Pointless discussion by inferior human beings who don't know everything, yet
like to talk about their lack of education, knowledge, refinement and
culture.

I just don't get it.

Some groups are what you say and worse, but I don't get the point of
your post really, other than to put down others. If the discussions are
pointless and subhuman, why read them? There are many educated,
knowledgeable, refined, and cultured people on usenet, many the
opposite, and some in between. Usenet can be a valuable resource. I
search the archives all the time. But they have changed the links to
get to them a few times. But that's the beauty of usenet. I can ask on
a group, not sure which one, if anybody has a link to the current url
for google archives.

I plead guilty to jumping in and asking a quetion (as a poster mentioned
on another thread) without looking through a myriad of threads for the
same one that has already been asked recently. I only dl so many, and
headers can be misleading, plus there is the general topic and sometimes
the discussion veers off into something else.

There are many intelligent, helpful people on usenet, and nothing beats
being able to interact with another human than with a server somewhere.
You can get answers really fast sometimes on usenet, too, that you
could do umpteen searches on google and maybe finally dig out or not. I
can't tell you how many times people have steered me to the right website.

Somebody here identified a plant for me, a bird somewhere else, help
with computer problems, etc., etc., etc., and I posted a photo of an
arbor I had searched and searched for using google. They had seen kits
for one. I did have to google some more, but I finally found it. Once
I had a name for the model(s), I could find it in a snap. I can't find
this certain purple aster I'd like by googling. It would be hard to
describe. The petals are like fringe only upright. I found a similar
one but has white around the edges.

If you happen to be expert or knowledgeable on a certain subject, its
generous of people to be willing to share that knowledge and be helpful
to others.

For the answer to that, I'll have to ask the lady who brought one to a
meeting (she won a prize for it, I just want it because it is pretty and
would work well in a new garden area I'm planning) and hope she
remembers the name of it.

Steve ;-)

Maybe you are just bored and want to yank a few chains? ;-)